Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Information on the Springwells / Delray area of Detroit?


Information on the Springwells / Delray area of Detroit?
I'm looking for information on housing, school systems, demographics etc. in Detroit, Michigan. Specifically around Central Avenue and DIX Street. From what I've heard, its impoverished and unsafe. I'm now looking for peoples' more personal experiences with this. What was it like growing up / raising kids there? How do you think you could have benefitted from being in another part of the country? I'm curious because I was born there and placed for adoption when I was one year old. I now live in NYC, but I'm curious as to what my life would have been like. If there's anything you feel is important to add that I didn't think to ask, please do! Thanks everyone.
Detroit - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
It is a very impoverished place. I have done some work at a clubhouse there for people with mental health problems. I have to park across the street and I am very cautious. I leave nothing of value in my car, and I don't leave my car if I see anyone about. I hate that I feel this way when I go there, but it feels unsafe to me. There are no grocery stores or stores of any kind except the little mom & pop stores that sell liquor, cigarettes, and overpriced food. There are lots of people wandering about the area that look homeless since they are pushing shopping carts of their belongings. There is very little that is attractive - the houses are not kept up, there is very little in the way of grass or flowers - lots of dirt and broken cement. My best guess is that your mother and possibly your father were having a very hard life and wanted something better for you. I am guessing that they gave you up out of love and a sincere hope that your life would be better because of it.


2
This is considered Southwest Detroit, in and before the 80's SW Detroit was a decent enough place to live, people still did take care of their homes...as time went on it steadily declined. Central and Dix is just blah, its over runned by gangs...The detroit school system is awful. I remember as a kid growing up in the 80's the bar was set very low in the schools. As most of Detroit has become very unsafe. Its a place were you really cannot trust your neighbor. Delray isnt a part of Central and Dix...is more so past Fort and Springwells, its a depressing little shack of town that even in the early 90's was looked down on as dangerous and ghetto.

Popular Posts