Sunday, June 26, 2011

Are people asked what race they are on job applications to deny them a job if they are a member of a minority?


Are people asked what race they are on job applications to deny them a job if they are a member of a minority?
Are people asked what race they are on job applications to deny them a job if they are a member of a minority group like black or hispanic? Hello my name is Alex and im from a town outside of Detroit named Inkster, Michigan. I am a 22 year old black man I will be 23 years old in 3 weeks from now. I live at home with my mom because I am unemployed and even if I could get get a job it would have to pay a decent salary for me to get my own place. I am unemployed and to this day cannot find a job. The last job I had was a seasonal job during the christmas holiday of the year of 2006. I have not had a job in over 3 and a half years and still cant find one. Every place I apply at whether it is in person or online I never get a reply or phone call from every single place I apply at. So one day I thought that maybe the reason why all of these places I apply at refuse to hire me is discrimination, because I remeber every online job application I filled out the asked me what race I was. So I finally made up my mind that from now on whenever I fill out a job application I will never answer a question where I am asked what race I am, I will either leave that question blank or check I would rather not reply. I was attending college but I am going to go to a broadcasting school this coming fall in August to learn how to work on the radio like be a disc jockey or commercial announcer or board operater and learn how to do many other tasks at a radio station. When I just last attended college I was studying computer information systems but I found out that I could get my experience quicker to be a radio dj in just 8 months compared to a 4 year degree aka bachelor degree which is required for people likew me studying computer information systems, so thats what really made me switch schools to Specs Howard School near Detroit, Michigan. The school I am going to is named Specs Howard School of Media Arts, which is located 16 miles from my house in Southfield, Michigan. Specs Howard School teaches people like me who want to work in the radio industry different skills we need to know to operate a radio station, and what is played over the air on the radio. So my question for all of you is if im asked what race I am on a online job application for a large chain of retail stores or fast food resturants or any where else, is that used against me to deny me a job because im black?
Other - Cultures & Groups - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
leave it blank lol


2
Not necessarily because you are black. This happens to whites as well. Hispanics have hiring priority right now. I've actually filled out applications that only asked if you were Hispanic or not. And of course I didn't hear back from them.

Popular Posts