Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My husband wants to move the family back to Michigan (Detroit metro area)?


My husband wants to move the family back to Michigan (Detroit metro area)?
To make a long story longer, we met in Michigan (he was in Detroit, I was in Kalamazoo) and after having our first two children, we moved to the Atlanta metro area to "start over." (This was back when the economy really started going to pot in Michigan.) We've got a good thing going now (stable jobs, live in a nice area out in the country with an excellent school system, little or no crime, etc.) and now he's talking about moving back to Michigan to be closer to his family. He has one of those families where EVERYONE lives within 20 minutes or so of each other. Here in Georgia, the only family we have is my mom and step dad. My family has always been spread out. We're close-ish with each other, but we're not the Brady Bunch. What I remember of Detroit was very dark, depressed, closed gas stations on every corner, bums on the street corners, etc. This is making me sick thinking about it. He's talking about moving out farther away from the city (for those of you who are familiar with the area, he's thinking Shelby Township or somewhere similar). My point is, it doesn't matter WHERE you go in the area (even if you live in Grosse Point) you're *still* surrounded by the ghetto. (I realize not the whole city of Detroit is a ghetto, but my husband was raised differently than I was. We both grew up in lower-middle class blue collar families, but I was raised in the country vs. he, who was raised in the city. I do NOT want to raise my family in an area like that. I don't want to have to drive through some sh*thole section of the city any time we go anywhere. I'm getting nauseous thinking about that. That's not where I want to raise my family. We have a good thing going now (albeit we're far away from his family), but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know? I suggested moving somewhere half way between, but he said he didn't want to move somewhere just to look at different trees. What should we do? This is one of those situations where we're going to have to agree to disagree. What would you guys do if you were in our situation? I HATE DETROIT and the surrounding areas. :( Sorry I offended you, tartar. He and I just have different standards, I suppose. What he considers nice is what I consider borderline ghetto. I don't have a problem with any of the townships, really. My point was, to go ANYWHERE in the metro Det. area you have to drive through a seedy area of town. I don't want to be around that. I remember quite a lot about my many years in Michigan, and what bothers me the most are the endless streets (grids) of shi**y little run down houses that ALL look alike. i don't want to wake up every morning looking out my kitchen window and watching my neighbor patch his chain link fence, smoking a cigarette and beating his dog that's chained to the broken part of the fence. The only experience I have with the area (as far as living) is south Warren. And that's where we'd end up living, I can guarandamntee it.
Other - Family & Relationships - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Wow Thanks for pissing off all of Detroit here. Yep I live in the suburbs and while the city of Detroit is falling apart the burbs are not. Shelby Twsp, Novi, Wyandotte, Taylor, all great places to live among others. You have painted a picture here that is not accurate. Ghetto really? Stop being such a whinny brat. You are completely and total wrong about this area.

Popular Posts