Thursday, March 24, 2011

How to find a job in Detroit, Michigan?


How to find a job in Detroit, Michigan?
Help! I am a college graduate (double major: theatre tech and art), great verbal and written communication skills, know photoshop like the back of my hand, artistically inclined, great sales and people person and I cannot find a job to save my life. I am currently working as a server in a restaurant but that's not even paying the bills because of the crap economy. I have a great work ethic and am not afraid of a little hard work. I have scoured the major job internet job sites and sent out countless resumes for graphic design and web design positions which has all been to no avail. I am desperate for something... anything!!! I am planning on returning for graduate school within the next 1-2 years but I have some serious matters going down on the homefront and I can't leave. WHAT TO DO?!? Does anyone know of any company looking for an intelligent, motivated, driven young professional for an entry level position in the Detroit area? I am a fast learner! p.s. I am no longer restricting my job search to include graphic/web design positions. Something! Anything! pref. decent pay with bennies.
Detroit - 6 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Sorry I can't help you, It Is very hard out here in Michigan we are thinking of moving away. I'm 46 born and raised here but we are losing every thing! My Nephew got his teaching degree and has been looking for a job for 1 year now, he is looking to move away too. My son in law has been designing part for one of the big 3 for 12 years now making a lot of money. His Co. is now laying of people and his hr. have been cut so bad their starting to lose things. Good Luck don't give up and maybe keep Other state's in mind.


2
when you find on let me know b/c i am in the same situation. Good luck


3
I cant help. When you go to grad school I would try to get a business degree. Many companies want a well rounded employee. Understanding business is key to working in a Business. Good Luck to you.


4
My place of employment is hiring right now. Too bad I can't give out any info that might lead to my true Identity. Try Gardner White Furniture, Taylor or Canton. They will hire anybody.


5
Sign up for the Michigan Talent Bank at MichiganWorks.com. You'll be asked to compile a list of employment fields you are interested in working in and want to receive information on. They will send you a daily e-mail digest listing job postings from companies that have positions open related to the fields you previously selected. They will range from entry level/hourly to professional salaried positions. The e-mail digests are usually several pages long and should provide you with many options. For any positions you are interested in I would recommend reaching the listed contact by phone or e-mail, and not using the website's "Send Resume" option. I signed up with MichiganWorks in 2005 and landed a nice job at Ford Motor Company that helped me pay my way through college.


6
Send your resume to every ad agency, PR house, Kraft Foods, Sarah Lee, etc IN CHICAGO and get the heck away from Detroit. If you REALLY have to stay in Detroit, see if Kelly Services can get you into a decent temp-to-hire position. It's the only way to get a decent job right now.

Popular Posts