Thursday, April 28, 2011

Looking for information on Detroit


Looking for information on Detroit?
I'm looking for information on housing, school systems, demographics etc. in Detroit, Michigan. Specifically around Central Avenue and DIX Street. From what I've heard, its impoverished and unsafe. I'm now looking for peoples' more personal experiences with this. What was it like growing up / raising kids there? How do you think you could have benefitted from being in another part of the country? I'm curious because I was born there and placed for adoption when I was one year old. I now live in NYC, but I'm curious as to what my life would have been like. If there's anything you feel is important to add that I didn't think to ask, please do! Thanks everyone.
Detroit - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Detroit is a very cultural place, but it's a dying city in fact. The crime is going up, the Big 3 auto companies are going down, and population is gradually decreasing. The city is dying but still staying strong. Detroit is a great place but in the right spots of Detroit. There is no crime in some of the nicer parts of Detroit and in some of the Suburbs but once you get into the city it's a lot of crime indeed. The bad parts of Detroit are currently ranked 6 in the nation on crime out of 25 cities (as of 2007). Overall in the right spots you won't get as much crime as you do in the city. I didn't live there as a kid growing up and I currently don't live there but I would make a lot of visits and I had family there growing up. If I did live there probably, I would have grown up very fond of staying alert of the streets and where I would have been when I was younger, because of the crime but I would have also learned about cultural difference in places like Detroit and accepted more diverse of crowds of people. Overall, I think if I did live there it would have been no different from how I was raised but probably more strict on what I could do alone because of the crime rate. Schooling is good in Detroit, and there is a lot of public schools so I think I would've gotten a decent education. Although Detroit is slowly dying, it's still a very nice and cultural place but it needs a lot of work to get it started back up again.

Popular Posts