Sunday, April 24, 2011

Can the state of Michigan take over the City Of Detroit?


Can the state of Michigan take over the City Of Detroit?
Only Michigan residents, you don't have to live in the city, you can live anywhere in Michigan. With all that has happened and is happening to Detroit should the state take over for the city's own good? I'm a 20 year old resident and it kills me to see my hometown like this, the neighborhood I lived in on the westside is no longer recognizable from what it once was. The schol system is in shambles, with the exception of a few good schools.The city is in need of police officers, people we only have 1800 officers for a city of 900+. Am I the only one that see's something wrong with that? Sure the downtown is the "crystal ball" of SE michigan, with its entertainment and sporting events. The city goverenment have proven to the entire state that they would incapable of running a pre-school class properly. I mean its just sick, whenever I go to school (EMU) people ask me where I'm from, and I say Detroit, then they atomactically assume Im from the "HOOD" like thats cool or something...What will it take for the city t wake up from its slumber of 40 odd years? can the residents, such as myself (for the time being) save the city? or should the state step in like they dare trying to do with Pontiac? Please explain your reason? 900+ = 900,000+ I left that out
Detroit - 8 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
okay, so I'm not from there but my mum is. Detroit/Michigan is a second home to me and I agree with you. I hate seeing it like it is. People ask 'where's your mum from she has a different accent' and I say 'detroit' and the totally think that she's from this crazy bad place. I think that more officers are needed first of all, the state should start working with that and if more help is needed then to step in fully.


2
First of all: Back about 15 years ago, there was a new class at the police academy every few months (even with the residency requirement). That changed drastically when Our Esteemed Leader decided to be a short-sighted j@ack@ss, funneling money away from the civil services sector (fire, as well as police). And it only got worse with his reelection. There hasn't been a new class at the academy in years, I believe (don't quote me on that one, but I do know it's dropped to next-to-nothing) - instead, there have been layoffs and precinct closures (I've never understood how that makes sense!). Now, the cops who are left are working their tails off trying to cover the whole city. They're working double and triple overtime, and have for quite a while now. Any first grader can tell you that's absolutely ridiculous and unsafe - just asking for disaster. *knock on wood* ...That rant's over... Second: It's hard to institute good changes when a majority of residents/voters have a "poor me. why should I bother? it's going to happen anyway" attitude, instead of trying to help turn the place around. Look at the last election - there was barely any turnout, because too many people thought "it's a done deal, my vote doesn't matter". The city needs more people like you to get together, step up, and get others to face reality/take control of the situation - but legally. I'm not saying there should be a mutiny or another riot, but something's gotta give. I just hope it changes for good. Third: I don't know the legalities. Can the state take over? Would you want Jenny From the Block to take over, anyway? She has the magic touch of turning everything to cr@p. (I wouldn't trust that woman to take over ditch digging detail, even.) Great civic-minded question. Star for you.


3
That wouldn't be a bad idea if Granholm was NOT in office. Other then that I don't see her being any more competent than Kwamie and Coleman.


4
Maybe.  But as another poster said, Two-Penny Jenny wouldn't be much of an improvement.I get depressed when I see what's been happening to the city, especially since 1973 when Coleman Young  got elected mayor.  But for crying out loud, why are the City Council members elected at large, instead of by wards as happens in almost every other city on the planet?  It can't be healthy to have the entire council living on the same block when there are neighborhoods that haven't had working streetlights since the riot.Can this be true?  I've heard that if all the vacant land in Detroit were one parcel, it would be big enough to take in three cities the size of San Francisco. Damn, it's hard to believe that the D was once the most important city in the world.I'd like to stick around and chat some more, but I have a campaign to plan.


5
So true. I don't want to accuse anyone, but a "certain group of people" are responsible for running down communities from Detroit to Buena Vista to Benton Harbor to Flint. They just can't run it. They don't pay attention in school, they don't attempt to do anything properly. I'm from overseas, and I'm ashamed of them. I think Detroit would be much better off with a white person as the mayor. Dave Bing is quite possibly the wake-up call the city needs. If you want an African-American to run the city, he is an excellent choice. Unfortunately, who will Detroit elect after him? Granholm is the saddest governor ever. I was a little wary of her during the election, and in her first year, I was convinced she was a fool. She has no real plan. She is a diehard liberal, through and through. That's her main agenda. Michigan cannot see this though. It's a shame. She needs to be recalled. DeVos would've been a much better choice. I'm not saying that as a Republican, I'm saying it as someone that thinks Michigan needs CHANGE.


6
Like 2 penny jenny needs more crap on her plate to screw up! I,m a detroit born person, grandma lived in highland park near the old sears store,my dad had a drycleaning corperation right on woodward and rosedale,and I still go to the city for entertainment, but the people have no hope left, you can change the guard, but it's the people that make the city, I don't have a answer, it seems like just when you think their on a comeback, the bottom falls out AGAIN! How much can these people endure? City council is a joke. I wonder what would happen if L. Brooks Patterson was mayor. the residents need hope and help, I don't know of any body who can make it all come back together, Maybe the new mayor can fix it, but that's a long road. It's sad to see it decay the way it has, I remember the motown days when times were good. sorry I got lost for a bit there. Bulldoze it and start over! Great question, complicated solution!


7
I'd have to say that I don't think either option is good. 1. Detroit City Council members only care about their private agendas. Its about power & control & not whats best for business owners, attracting new clients or the people living in the city. They've made every issue personal & with a religious twist. 2. Gov. Grandholm is no better, she had overworked state FIA workers. She has taken away support from adoptive parents. She spent 500,000 on NEW license plates...wtf?! She has her own agendas. The bottom line is that the govt. is failing us in every way & there has to be a 3rd solution for things to get better.


8
legally yes,, but I do not want that to happen. With the current Govern in Office the city of Detroit will die in a flash. The only Solution is for the residents to start giving a darn and working for a living instead of off the welfare,,( i am sorry I had offend any body to is doing there best to get off the system) Another factor that is must is jobs,, with the Auto industry dying , there must be some other way to bring money to the state and the city. It was suggested a long time ago way before any of us were born that Detroit be a commercial fishing port. Also we have salt mines under the city ,, another way to make money and jobs but that is not hap pong. Another factor is education,, How may children want to builders workers or teachers when they grow up not many.

Popular Posts